Oymyakon Climate & Temperature
- Oymyakon, Russia is at 63°16'N, 143°9'E, 740 m (2428 ft). See map.
- Oymyakon has a subarctic climate that has severe, very cold winters, no dry season, with cool, short summers and strong seasonality (Köppen-Geiger classification: Dfd).
- According to the Holdridge life zones system of bioclimatic classification Oymyakon is situated in or near the subpolar rain tundra biome.
- The average temperature is -15.5 degrees Celsius (4.1 degrees Fahrenheit). See the temperatures page for a monthly breakdown and the fixed scale graph.
- Average monthly temperatures vary by 61.3 °C (110.3°F). This indicates that the continentality type is continental, subtype hypercontinental.
- In the winter time records indicate temperatures by day reach -40°C (-39.9°F) on average falling to -48.7°C (-55.7°F) overnight.
- In spring time temperatures climb reaching -5.1°C (22.8°F) generally in the afternoon with overnight lows of -22.9°C (-9.2°F).
- During summer average high temperatures are 20.3°C (68.5°F) and average low temperatures are 4.3°C (39.7°F).
- Come autumn/ fall temperatures decrease achieving average highs of -10.3°C (13.4°F) during the day and lows of -21.1°C (-6°F) generally shortly after sunrise.
- Total annual Precipitation averages 212 mm (8.3 inches) which is equivalent to 212 Litres/m² (5.2 Gallons/ft²).
- On average there are 1911 hours of sunshine per year. Visit the sunshine and daylight section to check monthly details including how high in the sky the sun reaches each month.
- If you were to burrow down through the Earth from Oymyakon you would come out nearest to the climate station at Base Orcadas, Antarctica where you would find a Tundra climate.
Rio de Janeiro,
Climate of Oymyakon, Russia Discussion
Post your insights, comments, questions, answers, feedback, error reports, related link suggestions etc. using the easy form below:
Navigate to Surrounding Climate Guides: